Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 515R --can't ping through

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
US
I'm completely new to firewall setup.
I have a PIX 515R configured, as far as I can see, exactly as described in the manual. Pings will go from external hosts to the 515 interfaces and from the 515 to external hosts, but not THROUGH the firewall in either direction.

What should I look at, check on, or try?

Thanks!

Peter

Do you have access-list/conduit statements permitting ICMP traffic?

Yes--"conduit permit icmp any any"

Take note that conduit's will be phased out of future PIX releases and should be converted to ACLs. These cannot be used in conjunction with eachother either.

Conduit statements will indeed be phased out very soon. They do not provide adiquite security, and they are not as precise as ACL

THANKS!
I found my problem. Purely pilot error.
This firewall was shipped with software release 4.4(7), which, according to what I can find, does not support ACLs. Do you recommend that I download and install version 5.whatever before I put the firewall into service in the "real world", so I can uses ACLs? Are there any releases to particularly avoid? SHould I speak firmly to the vendor about shipping a firewall with 2-year-old software?

Thanks!

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back