Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 506E - DMZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am new to the PIX world, please excuse me if I am asking something stupid.

My company just bought a PIX 506E firewall. How can I setup our mail server on a DMZ. Can I do this with a 506E firewall? It only has two interfaces, I thought I would need a third interface for DMZ.

One more question, my company has around 20 users most of them are remote users. Is the connection to our main office network going to be slow, since the 506E runs at 10 Mbps? Should I advise my company to get a PIX 515?

Thanks for your help.

You cannot use a DMZ on a PIX 506(e), but you can put an email server on the inside network and do a 1-to-1 static NAT translation and allow just port 25 through. This would allow you to have a public email server, and provide your internal network with protection as well. We can help you with the cofig if you ask.

As far as the VPN, see thread 35-350580.

Personally for remote access, I prefer Terminal Services or Citrix to standard VPN's. It would make you users much happier, I'm sure.

-gbiello

gbiello,

Thank you very much for your help.

Eduardo

If you want to go DMZ rather go for a PIX515 Firewall , PIX 506 supports only 2 interfaces but you can still put your Mailserver on the inside interface

Good luck

Since the 506e only has 2 interfaces you can only setup the outside and inside zones. If you map a static outside Ip to the internal Ip of the email server and then using ACLs allow email traffic to the outside IP, you will have outside exposure to your email server.

Slightly OT, but how do you find a specific numbered thread?
I didn't see an option for thread ID on the search page, and
doing a keyword search gave hundreds of hits.

-db

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back