Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pix 501 with NTL Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerpatel

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
Hi,
Can someone please help.

I currently have a NTL 10mb Cable connection via a NTL Cable modem. I've get a old fully working Cisco Pix Firewall, can anyone please assist and letting me know if the Pix can work with NTL.

If so, how, i have tried many times but dont seem to be getting a internet connection.

Thanks

Roger

Yes it *can* work... You probably have a configuration problem, and to fix this you need to give us more information

UnaBomber
ccnp mcse2k

Unabomber,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently i have configured the Pix to have the following settings :

Internal ip address of 192.168.0.1
Outside has be set to DHCP
DHCP Scope for internal PC's

I've connected Port 0 to the Network Port on my NTL Cable Modem.

Let me know what other information you need, i'll be glad to get it for you.

If your cable modem is responsible for authenticating with the ISP, then yes it should work.

When you connect the Rj45 cable to the cable modem, do you see the link light go green on the PIX? Alternatively issue the 'show int e0' command in the CLI and verify the status of the Line Protocol.

If the line protocol is down, check what kind of cable you are using, i.e. a straight or crossover. If a straight cable, use a crossover instead or vice versa.

If neither kind of cable works, you may need to try an alternative, "known-good" cable.

Also you may want to try setting the duplex and speed to auto on the outside interface within the CLI as follows:

interface ethernet0 auto

cheers guys, will give it a go tonight.

I've just recently (with a lot of help) finished setting up a 2611 on a NTL 10mb connection.
Don't forget to set the MAC address on the interface connecting to the modem to an address registered with NTL. I cloned my old router's MAC.

I'm using a SB4100 modem and I have found that the cisco interface has to be set to 10mb half-duplex to receive the full 10mb connection; putting the interface to FD causes loads of CRC errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back