Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 Throughput

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russholio

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
GB
I've got a Cisco PIX 501 on my 1MB cable modem internet connection. I think I should be seeing downloads of between 80-100KB/sec (or higher) but I'm only getting about 30-40KB/sec. I've been talking to a friend who has the same cable company connection but he is using an inexpensive cable modem router, rather than a PIX, and his throughput is much higher.

Are there any known throughput issues with the Cisco PIX 501? Or am I just a bonehead and missing a simple confuration setting.

Thanks in advance !!

My guess is your PIX is fine but it would be simple to check it out by removing the PIX for a day or two and check your download speeds without it. If your speeds improve significantly then it's time to look at the PIX. If not, you might want to talk to your cable company.

My experience is that cable is very unpredictable. I have two friends using the same company, paying the same monthly fees for the same plan. One claims to get download speeds in excess of 100KB while the other claims to get 20KB normally up to 45KB on a good day. The only difference is that they live on opposite sides of the city. So it looks like it really depends on who else is using it in your neighborhood. Good luck.

I agree with the above. I am also using the 501 at home on my cable modem and I am seeing > 1M/s down. Cisco rates the 501 at 10Mbps throughput so unless you have a defective unit I would think the problem lies with your cable provider.

Tom

My Pix seems to keep dropping my connection every few hours or so at random... Any reason for this? Has anyone else experienced this? I am also on Cable with a pix 501...

I run a PIX 501 on my home network. Home devices are showing 100Mb full duplex. The PIX 501 connects to my Flowpoint 2200 SDSL router. My router also runs a web server not protected by the PIX 501 on a 10Mb half duplex connection. The result of a ftp file transfer of a 36MB file transfer shows up at 9.2Mb/s. My MRTG site showed this, along with MyVitalNetwork monitor on my laptop. This test shows that the PIX 501 can reach towards its 10Mb/s limit. - Steve

Thanks for all of the input! I'm glad to hear that I'm not doing something wrong and the PIX is functioning properly. Now I have to convince the cable company that my internet connection doesn't have all of the bandwidth I'm paying for...

Thanks again, you've all been a HUGE help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back