Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 receive outside IP dynamicall from DHCP serv 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saidfrh

Technical User
Dec 11, 2004
US
Can a PIX 501 receive ethernet0's IP address dynamically from a Linksys router-DHCP server?

Thanks.
Said

It can be a DHCP client; it should be able to work with any standard DHCP server. The best idea is to plug it in and see if it works. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.

ip address outside dhcp [setroute] [retry retry_cnt]

I21st, Thanks for the reply. The perimeter router is DSL. Does the pix require the PPPoE client to be enabled? If you have DHCP enabled on the outside interface, the Pix will automatically disable the PPPoE client you require - and vice versa if you have the PPPoE client enabled.

I still have not found the right config to connect a 501 behind a Linksys DHL router. The following does not work.

PIX(config )# interface ethernet0 10baset
interface ethernet1 10full
ip address outside dhcp setroute
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
ip address inside 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0

Config on PC
Ip address 10.10.1.2/24
default gateway 10.10.1.1

I'm basically running a similar config with a 506 behind a DSL modem and have not had to set the PPPoE client up. Your configuration looks correct as far as I can see. Are you not receiving a DHCP address on your PIX but you are on another system? You may need to clone your MAC in order to get a connection in the short-term. PDM may help with viewing the error logs. BTW, here's the debug commands for troubleshooting DHCP client connectivity on the PIX.

The following commands provide debugging tools for the DHCP client feature:

•debug dhcpc packet

•debug dhcpc detail

•debug dhcpc error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back