Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhagan

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hi...

Just purchase pix 501 as part of lab - have wireless connection to internet - the ethernet cable plugs straight in to the back of my pc and the rest is config'd in tcp/ip settings. I've plugged the cable from the wireless box to port 0 on the pix and get blinking green. Set pc tcp/ip properties to acquire address from dhcp. Have gone through the PDM and answered all questions - external interface has static ip set in, mask is right and gateway address. setup nat with the global address range the same as the dhcp range. I can see the pix as I can config it, but I can't ping the external interface or the gateway or anything outside the pix. As I said, this is right out of the box running PDM with nothing else. What am I doing wrong???

Many thanks!

Todd

Check the interfaces on you System Tab. You should have Inside and Outside interface names, the IP address and submasks.

icmp is blocked by default, this is why you cannot ping beyond the internal interface. if you want to ping you must provide access lists and point them at the relevant interfaces

Let me check the interfaces settings...as for pinging, I'll look at that - I just tried pinging because I could not get to any sites on the internet...

HI.

Some modems need a reboot when you replace the device that is connected to it - so maybe rebooting the wireless device can help.

As mentioned above, ping via the pix is blocked by default.
You can add a rule for inbound ICMP echo-reply packets.
You can also test with TCP instead of ICMP. For example try to telnet to the wireless device if applicable, or to port 25/110 on your ISP mail server.

You'll find some pix related links here:

Yizhar Hurwitz

Hi...

The wireless device I have is just a dish that has a cat5 cable that runs straight to my switch. I have a patch cable that runs from the switch to the nic on my machine. When I add the pix into the equation, I set my nic to acquire its address via dhcp, plug the incoming internet cable into the pix's port 0, run the pdm and still I get nothing as far as getting to the internet... I'm a newbie at this - it's pretty frustrating...

Thanks in advance for any help!

todd

Hi Todd,

If you want I can email you screen shots of my configuration. I am using PIX 501 on my network, this will give you some ideas on what is wrong with your configuration. My email is msmith@fccc.com, let me know.

Hi Yizhar...

FCCC screen shot her config and sent it to me - I made the changes that I had to make and all was well in pix land. Thanks for the posting!

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back