Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 and inside VPN server

Status
Not open for further replies.

chripa

Programmer
Mar 27, 2008
AT
I'd like to access an internal VPN (PPTP) server, which is behind the PIX 501 (on the "inside" location).

So I created translation- und filter rules for the VPN server on the PIX for port 1723 and IP protocol GRE (47). I also unchecked "VPN passthrough for PPTP".

BUT the PIX does not allow to access the VPN server in the inside network. Connections to the Web- and Mailserver works fine; portscan too but NOT the connection to the VPN server! (???)

Is there a possibility to get this running? Maybe did I forget to make some additional changes?

Please help me - it's urgent. ;o)

Thanks in advance!
Regards, Chris

Why in the world would you want to use PPTP when you can use IPSEC vpns on the Pix? Post your configuration.

I know that theres a security risc using PPTP; but I only want to try out how to connect to a VPN (PPTP) server BEHIND the PIX... Which things do I have to do?

As already said - I opened port 1723 and protocol 47 (gre) on the PIX. This should work, but it doesn't... Just see my first thread.

If really neccessary, I can post my configuration...

Regards, Chris

Thanks for the tip and the weblink! But on this website, they assume that the VPN client outside has a static ip address; but my inside PPTP server uses dynamic address assigning to any host anywhere in the internet which is connected to the server (DHCP).

So - do I need to open some DHCP Ports?!?

I'm really confused... :s(

Thanks in advance -
Chris :)

Go ahead and post your scrubbed config and a description of the topology.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Thanks for your tips - it works fine after entering a few terminal commands.

So this topic is solved for me; thanks again to all people who gave suggestions!!!

Best regards
Chris ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back