Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 and a cable modem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumper

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a PIX 501 I am using with a cable modem which gives me a dhcp address. I have been able to get the 501 working with dhcp on both the outside interface and inside interface, but have not been able to connect to the main office with cisco vpn client 3.5. I think I have to open some ports or even add a static statement, (how is this possible with dhcp), but I am unsure of what to do, can anyone PLEASE help me???

You may want to try to enable fixup protocol esp-ike but you need to be running code 6.3 to have this feature available. You may also enable NAT-T on the headend device. If the headend device doesn´t support NAT-T and the fixup protocol didn´t solve the problem then you will need a different service from your ISP since you will need a static translation for the VPN client.

Thanks, I have 6.33 and enabled esp-ike, I have been able to establish connection to the office, but I still am unable to use terminal server to connect to the office servers, do I need to open more ports?

I am planning on using the 501 for vpn access into the office and also to vpn into the remote site. I have multiple users at the remote site, (the one with the 501) who need to connect to the main office, (PIX 515). I also need to be able to vpn into the remote site, (the 501 office).
I was planning on using cisco vpn client 3.51, is what I want to do possible with the easy vpn client?

hey fumper it looks like you have already done what i am planning to do. i also have a remote site with pix501 connected to the web via dsl. at the head office i have a pix 515 connected to the web via t1. i want the remote to connect to the head office via vpn and be able to access servers and run terminals sessions.

any suggestion on how you did it?

thanks.

I upgraded to 6.33 on both PIX's, enabled NAT-T on the 515 (at main office)... Installed Cisco VPN Client 4.0.3, client 3.51 did not work... I also enabled port udp 500 and 4500 on the 501... seems to be working ok now... I also enabled split tunnel so remote office can use local resources while connected to main office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back