Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 & PPPoE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

belyache

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
US
I have the latest IOS & PDM installed on a PIX 501 at one of my sites.

I just changed to DSL after using a ISP that had a static IP.

I am hooking my PIX to the DSL modem via ethernet & am using the PPPoE option for DSL.

Everything seems to work OK, except my inbound rules that allowed SMTP, and other ports in, no longer seems to work.

Even if I find the outside IP address of the PIX I cannot get access in. I am using the same rules I have always used.

I have changed to a D-link router until I can get the PIX working, so I don't have immediate access to the config file.

Any ideas? I will go get the PIX so I can get the config file.

Glenn

well, we need the config to help you. If you've not changed the rules, then it's surprising that it's no longer working.

There shouldn't be any difference between pppoe and dhcp as far as access lists,etc go.

Thanks for the posts.... I know I need to post the config. :)

I re-booted the PIX, but it did't help.

I have a major software problem to fix, so I have to take care of it first then I will get back to this problem.

Glenn

Any resolution regarding this thread? I am having problems with my 501 and PPPoE. We have a linksys in place that has no problem resolving the pppoe auth but when we put the 501 in it's place I get LCP down error when doing a show vpdn. I opened a ticket with cisco and they said the config looks good and are not sure what to do. I did reboots, power cycles, etc. when applying changes. captured debug results and sent them to Cisco and still nothing from them. I started with ver 6.2(2) and then upgraded to 6.3(3) and tried it again. Still same LCP down error. Anyone familiar with this problem? Or have any suggestions? Oh, the DSL service is from SBC using a speedstream 5100 modem. Thanks!!!

The PPPOE config is very sensitive. Use this config and it should work.

vpdn group pppoe_group request dialout pppoe
vpdn group pppoe_group localname pppoe_username
vpdn group pppoe_group ppp authentication pap
vpdn username pppoe_username password pppoe_password store-local

Also, you would need this command:
ip address outside pppoe setroute

Do let me know how it goes.

MIC3MAN

Bypass the PIX and connect a computer directly to the modem. Try logging on with the pppoe software like winpoet or whatever your ISP supplied you. If you're able to logon then it is a PIX issue, otherwise make sure your computer is able to browse net before connecting the PIX back.

Hi Guys,

I am running up against this same problem. PPPOE works with other devices, but not the PIX running v 6.3(3).
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Berek

Hi Guys,

I got my Pix 501 working if PPPoE without too many problems. I did have a problem with port forwarding which I managed to solve. I will try to get the configuration from my pix that next time I'm on site (sometime in January), it's a two hour drive. I lost my remote connection to my server because the IP changed and my DynDNS software was unable to update the IP.

Anthony

Howdy,

Thx for the reply. I managed to get this working today. The ISP provided me with an incorrect password. Argh!
I was really not sure where the problem was because debug vpdn commands did not seem to show much information. This is the second PPPOE connection I have done, and I find it a little more difficult that a static IP or DHCP. I am always worried if the PPPOE will work through the ISP equipment.

Thx again!
Regards,
Berek

Hi Berek,

I had a similar problem with my ISP. Both my home and client's internet connection are PPPoE and supplied by the same ISP but the business version required me to use the @whateverISP after username which wasn't required for the home version. Boy did I try everything until I read the fine print in the manual. I spent less time searching also by eliminating the PIX from the puzzle and having the modem connected straight to my laptop. I just love static IPs ! I managed to get 16 public IPs from my ISP without any extra fees for my own business internet line. I have to admit that a PPPoE connection cost a lot less for more or less that same speed.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back