Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 501 Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riteon

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
GB
I currently have two locations I work from and quite often have to access "the other" location.

Currently my PC in location A is networked behind a PIX 501 and the PC in location B has software Cisco VPN connection in to location A.

Sometimes (if we get a powercut) the VPN connection is dropped and the PIX501 reboots which disconnects the PC in location B and it won't auto connect until I get there (as it's unmanned) and reconnect (most frustrating).

Unless there's a really simple fix for this (which I doubt) I think that maybe a hardware VPN solution may be in order.

I'm thinking of buying another PIX 501 and then having a Hardware VPN solution.

My query is:-

1) Can the software solution, i have currently, automatically redial, should it get disconnected (without any user input)

2) If I go for a hardware 501 to 501 - If we get a powercut, will it re negotiate a connection within a certain time limit?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to weigh up my options. I'd also like to know if this can be completed with only 1 static IP at each end (or do I have to get a block of 8IP's as I current have on my 501 site (location A))

Thanks in advance

Yep, 501 will reconnect the vpn automatically as long as there's power and internet. You're probably better off with that solution.

If you want to autoreconnect with the client software, create a shortcut from your vpn client and drop it in the startup menu. As long as your pc is set to automatically logon, it'll reconnect the vpn thru the software when the power comes back on. Of course this depends on the internet coming back online before the computer finishes booting.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Great, thanks for the advice. I thought that the hardware solution would be favourite.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back