Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

%PIX-3-201002: Too many connections on xlate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
I keep getting the message:

%PIX-3-201002: Too many connections on xlate <public IP>

in my pixsyslog file. Around the same time, Internet surfing drops to a crawl. The public IP is set as IP outside <public IP> and we all go out through a proxy set as :

nat (inside) 1 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 1000 200

Running a Pix 501R 6.01.

Anyone got any ideas how to resolve?

You can see how many current connections you have by doing a &quot;sho conn count&quot;. You may want to try to up your number of allowed embryonic connections to a thousand.

nat (inside) 1 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 1000 1000

result of sho conn count is:

97 in use, 2302 most used

Is it a timeout issue where the connections are not being dropped quickly enough? Looks like my connections timeout is set to 1 hour? (I'm using the PDM).

I'll change the embryonic to 1000 - many thanks for that suggestion.

HI.

How many internal hosts?

You should remember that each host generates many connections. For example browsing a web page generates a connection for each image on the site + the html itself.

You should also try to monitor and check the activity - a virus on one or few hosts can make many connections.
If some hosts are running a file sharing program via the proxy server they can also use resrouces.

By using the &quot;show conn&quot; command you can look for connections that stay for long time.
Using syslog messages at level 6 can also help you track the traffic.

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back