Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot Table Seems to get corrupted when updating the pagefields with VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDGE99

Technical User
Oct 9, 2006
US
I am having some very strange issues when trying to update a pivot tables pagefields using VBA. The pagefields do get updated with the correct information but the output of that is returned in the Pivot Table is not correct. When I create a new PT and use the same selection criteria I get the correct output. I seems like when I do it with VBA it corrupts the PT.

I have also tried clearing the pivot cache and refreshing the pivots prior to setting the pagefields and I still get that same issue.

Code:
Sub Main() 
    Dim ws As Worksheet 
    Dim wsPT As Worksheet 

Dim pt As PivotTable 

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Config") 
    Set wsPT = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("DiscountPivots") 
    Set pt = wsPT.PivotTables("PivotTable1") 

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
     ' Pivot Table PaigField Selectors
    xDealSize = ws.Range("B5").Value 
    xLookup = ws.Range("B8").Value 
     ' Update Pivot Tables
     ' Set Totals Pivot
    pt.PivotFields("Lookup").CurrentPage = xLookup 
    pt.PivotFields("Deal_Size2").CurrentPage = xDealSize 

Set ws = Nothing 
    Set wsPT = Nothing 
    Set pt = Nothing 
End Sub

At first it seemed to be working fine but once I went to validate the data the pivot table was not showing the correct data although the pagefields have been updated to the correct information. I verified this by creating another pivot table and manually selected the correct values for the pagefields and it showed the correct information. The VBA updated PT only came back with a few records where as the manually selected one brings back all of the data.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this? I spent several hours trying to resolve and looking like all that work will be waisted.

Thanks

genomon I don't believe it is a refresh issue as I have tried this as well and still gives the wrong data. It actually seems like it corrupts the pivot table because even when I go and manually try and modify and refresh it afterwards it still is messed up.

hi,

Also I would not SET object variables unnecessarily...
Code:
Sub Main()
    Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Config")

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("DiscountPivots")
        With .PivotTables("PivotTable1")
     ' Update Pivot Tables
     ' Set Totals Pivot
            .PivotFields("Lookup").CurrentPage = ws.Range("B5").Value
            .PivotFields("Deal_Size2").CurrentPage = ws.Range("B8").Value
            .PivotCache.Refresh
        End With

End

Set ws = Nothing
End Sub

Skip do you think setting those objects could be causing other issues? I will play around with this to see if it helps.

combo there are no renamed items in the pivot table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back