Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot table questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2007
US
I have a pivot table layout liked the following. Is anyway when I double click on the items counts listed under each aging bucket and it will show the detail for the age bucket and the user I clicked on?? For example, if there are 2 items listed under age 1-30 bucket with user Mary, when I double click on the 2 items, it will create another tab and shows the detail for Mary?? Is it possible to do it with a pivot table?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

System name and User as the Rows on the left

And Aging bucket listed on the column as the following:

Age 1-30, Age 31-60, Age 61-90, Age 91-180

Have you tried it to see what happens? Is this what you want?

You may also want to consider using group and show detail within the pivot table:
Add a column to the right of User so you can see all the detail for all users. Then right-Click on the User column, select Group and Show Detail - HideDetail.

Now you can double click on a user to expand the detail for that user within the main pivot table.

This may not be quite what you are after as I did not really get a clear view from your post.

Gavin

What you describe is default behavior.... [!]IF[/!] your source data is in the workbook. I looked at one of your other threads and, assuming that this question is related to your last one, it seems that your source data is external.

Is there any way you can put your source data in the workbook on another sheet?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

This is not correct
John said:
IF your source data is in the workbook.

With Excel 2003 at least you do not need the data to be in the workbook but you do need to have the data in memory and to have the appropriate table option(s) set.
Right click on the pivottable and select TableOptions:
You MUST have "enable drilldown to details" checked.
If you don't have either of the other options checked then you will need to manually refresh the data before you can drill down.

To drill down you double-click on the data not the row-label.

Note: with a large data source I would not necessarily recommend ticking the "Save data with table layout" - it can make a huge difference to file size (even if the source data is within the workbook) and means people without access rights to the source data can change the table, access data relating to another department etc.

Gavin

Thanks for everybody's responses. Yes, the datasources is in the workbook and I tried the drill down option. It does bring the details to another tab with the rows I have selected but what I really want to see is if it possible to only show the detail for a particular aging bucket I have selected?? for example, currently if I have doubled click on age 1-30 to show the 3 items in that bucket; it will show the detail for 10 items which is the total items for that user I have selected. Is anyway to only show detail only for age 1 -30?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot.

Thanks, Gavin! I didn't realize you could do that with an external data source.

ituser2008, You can drill down on any particular number. So if you have subtotals on for you buckets, then double click on the number that shows you how many (or the "sum of" or whatever) items are in bucket 1-30. The name should look like like 1-30 Total.

If you still have questions, please provide a brief example of what your source data and Pivot Table look like.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Actually, I need to be able to see the detail behind the bucket 1-30. For example, if there are 2 items in the bucket 1-30, I want to see the detals for these 2 items such as username, systemid, and other fields from the datasource. Currently the way the pivot table has created, it will shows the detail for the row (aging bucket is break down by system and user) including items in 30-60 bucket when I clicked on the 1-30 bucket. Not sure if I can change the setup to only bring backs the detail for the particular bucket I have selected.

Please post a sample of source data that demonstrates the above behavior, and the fields assigned to ROW, COLUMN, PAGE & DATA areas.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]I'll be dressed to the nines this week, as I go to have my prostatectomy...
Because, if I'm gonna BE impotent, I want to LOOK impotent![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back