Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot Table Fail in VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd2004

Technical User
Aug 24, 2009
US
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why this code doesn't run:

ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _
"Data_All_Items_Added!R3C1:R13174C8", Version:=xlPivotTableVersion10). _
CreatePivotTable TableDestination:="PVT_Items_Added!R3C1", TableName:="PivotTable1" _
, DefaultVersion:=xlPivotTableVersion10

I get the following error message:

Run-time error '5'

Invalid procedure call or argument.

I believe I have checked the names of the source and destination sheets. I am running windows 7 for the first time, and I am wondering if that is an issue, or if I need a reference. anyway, please help if you can. thank you, Pat.

hi,

Where did you get this code?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well. I copied this code from a module that I had made previously. I also recorded it. I have been working with it for a while, and I am really confused as to why it doesn't work. I sense that you know the answer. If the code is really bad, I apologize. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. As I say, I am running windows 7 now, which is a change.

Thank you,

Pat

I copied this code...
I also recorded it.

Does that mean that at some time in the past, you RECORDED it, and the subsequently you COPIED it?

Or how do these two statements correlate?

Skip,
[sub]

Hello Skip,

That is likely the case. A while ago, when I was using windows XP and likely an older version of Excel, I was working a lot more with pivot tables and trying to automate some reporting that uses them. Normally I do most of that work in Excel, but sometimes it is better for our users to provide a pivot. Anyway, I copied that code and am tryng to use in another module, now running windows7, and Excel 2010. I have been recording and modifying, trying to make it work. I would prefer to pass parameters into it for source of the data and destination of the pivot, but I tried using the actual addresses to make it simpler. Anyway, if you can help, I appreciate it. If not, I appreciate all of the help you have given already. Have a nice day.

Pat

Then you need to RECORD the macro in the version that you are running.

HOWEVER, I question WHY you would be ADDING a PivotTable to the same sheet REPEATEDLY? That does not make sense!

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip,

I thought that was the problem initially as well. However, I do not think so. the same code fails in my module. then on the same page I can record the exact same macro, and it runs. I understand your point about adding the same pivot more than once, but I don't think that is happening. Anyway, I appreciate your attention and I will keep working on it. I will let you know if I can resolve. I am thinking it is an issue with the references selected in the VBA editor.

Thank you,

Pat

But THAT is the problem!

You record adding a PivotTable, called [highlight #FCE94F]PivotTable1[/highlight].

Then, when you RERUN that macro, it tries to add [highlight #FCE94F]PivotTable1[/highlight]!

Do ya see the [highlight #FCE94F]problem[/highlight]???

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip,

It kind of seems like you are unhappy with my efforts. I totally understand what you are saying. I was onto that very early on. The problem is, you have the two in reverse order. First, my code fails trying to make Pivottable1. Then, on the same sheet, I record the macro to make pivottable1. I am likely doing somehting foolish, and I will let you know when I figure it out.

Thank you,

Pat

Here's a version that works on my PC. You may need to change the sheet names, but notice hwe I use 2 sheet objects,

the ActiveSheet (ws) is where the PT Source Data is in A1

The new PT is in wsPT at A3
Code:
'
    Dim wsPT As Worksheet, ws As Worksheet

[highlight #FCE94F]Set ws = ActiveSheet[/highlight]

[highlight #8AE234]Set wsPT = Sheets.Add[/highlight]    

ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create( _
        SourceType:=xlDatabase, _
        SourceData:=[highlight #FCE94F]ws.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion[/highlight], _
        Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12).CreatePivotTable _
        TableDestination:=[highlight #8AE234]wsPT.Cells(3, 1)[/highlight], TableName:="PivotTable1", DefaultVersion _
        :=xlPivotTableVersion12

wsPT.Cells(3, 1).Select

Skip,
[sub]

Thank you, Skip. I really appreciate all of your help!
Pat

Sorry that I didn't pay close enough attention to the details in which the devil inhabits.

Skip,
[sub]

You're the best Skip! I appreciate your help always.

Thank you again.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back