Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot Table external datasource issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgbatdw

Programmer
Aug 11, 2004
US
This is a 2 question thread in regard to Excel PivotTables:

Question #1:
I have an Excel pivot table with an external datasource -an access 2003 table. Just a month ago I went in and made a change to the SQL Statement within Excel from the Microsoft Query screen. The pivot table has been working correctly - refreshing on open and retrieves correct data. Today I tried to go in to look at some things and when I use the steps to 'Select a difference source data for a PivotTable' as given by MS Excel Help (and I've done this before successfully), when I get to the 'PivotTable and PivotChart Wizard Step 2 of 3'screen and it shows the "Get Data" button (states to the right of it 'Data fields have been retrieved') then I click on the btn and the text to the right of the btn changes to "No Data fields have been retrieved". Odd, but then if I click on 'Back' btn which takes me to the Step 1 of 3 screen and 'External Data Source' is shown selected, then click 'Next', now text to the right of the 'Get Data' button changed back to 'Data fields have been retrieved'. I can't seem to get to the Microsoft Query SQL Stmt screen or to the spot where you can add a new fld from the datasource. What is going on. I've done this before, but now it isn't working.

Question #2:
The Page fields on my Excel PivotTable show the correct list of items when dropped down in the Page area, but when one is dragged down and then clicked to drop down the dropdown list shows items not in the source table. For example one of the Page fields is Employee names. When the Page field is above, the dropdown lists the appropriate employees based on source table, but when dragged down the list lists employees that are NOT in the source table (which is filled/filter by date in access before excel is opened). Table is correct. How can I eliminate these unwanted names from showing and where is that info coming from since it's NOT in the external data's source table?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight to these issues. I am at a loss.
Thank you in advance.

Linda in MN

I figured out what the issue was with Question #1 - I didn't have Microsoft Query installed. My pc was recently redone and apparently MS Query didn't get reinstalled. So got that handled. But still need to know answer to Ques#2 about eliminating names of employees that are not included in external datasource (access table)- no longer employed or no activity within date range.

Linda in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back