Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pirated/Hacked XP and Service Pack 2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcastner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
The answer is No. Expect at least the scrutinity of your license as seen in Service Pack 1/1a.

I raise this as a news issue only because a lot of consultants see pirated XP copies, and have to deal with it as an issue.

It was unclear as to what Microsoft would decide with such an important Service Pack, as some discussions here have mentioned in regards to Service Pack 2.

See:

I apologize. I was intending to click the News icon rather than ? icon in submitting this post.

I should also note I tested two popular XP hacks: the use of "Corporate Edition" and the equally popular background service to reset the expiration date for authentication.

No service pack 2 for you.

Bill

By the way,

I hope this thread does not get misunderstood and just red flagged.

I turn down a lot of new business clients where I see that the Server OS, and/or client OS, and/or application software came from Kazaa, eMule, eDonkey, etc.

Consider my note a warning, and in combination with a lot of notes in this Forum with the opinion that you really do want Service Pack 2 for XP.

I'm not sure why they removed out posts regarding successful Pirated Updates...

We were merely stating that bcster was not entirely correct, and trying to correct the false information...

Dragon,
I agree, I can see where who ever red flagged them is coming from. I just want to clarify that I do not run pirated software. I was merely testing the SP2 so that if people call me with problems I can recognise any error messages that they may have.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Being a BETA Tester. It was common knowledge that the NETWORK (express) version of SP2, (which MS recommended to the PUBLIC) needs/needed no SN to install... If you want to upgrade thru the official MS Upgrade site, you will need "A valid Product Number". That knowledge was posted all over the internet. MicroSoft Knowledge base "How to change your Product Number". See Q328874..

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back