Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe delimited problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyS

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I'm trying to import a Pipe delimited .DAT file into Access 97. However, for some reason Access isn't recognising the line feed character, so it views the file as one long string. Excel, on the other hand, has no problem converting the file.

The method I'm using to import the file is to rename it as a .txt which works fine for other alternatively formated .DAT files.

Can anyone suggest a way to force Access to recognise the Line feed character, or know of a way around this?

Thanks in advance,
[wedge] Remy

Still new to DB's and enjoying learning day by day

When you start the import click on Advanced (in the Import Text Wizard). Then change the field delimiter to the pipe. This should do it! Scott Musich
Database Analyst/Programmer

Thanks, but the Pipe "|" isn't the problem,
The line feed (represented as a black square when the file is opened in Notepad) is the problem.

The only alternative I can think of would be to open the file in Excel first, them import that to Access. But that doesn't seem very efficient.

Does anyone know how to correctly deal with this?

Thanks,
[pc1] Remy

Still new to DB's and enjoying learning day by day

SOLUTION

I used a small piece of automation to open the .DAT file in Excel, then import it into Access.

Note: I had to save the Excel file as a .txt as Access still didn't recognise the data in .xls format

This just goes to prove that there's never only one way to do anything in Access. Though if anyone ever does come accross a better method please let me know.

[r2d2] Remy Still new to DB's and enjoying learning day by day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back