Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinouts for Epson TM-88 with Elo Entuitive ESY1529L (Aloha TS 6.1.23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natchiketa

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2007
US
Hello all, first of all thanks to everyone for the amazing wealth of helpful info. I hope to soon be experienced enough to repay the favors...

So I'm looking into alternatives to Radiant terminals (we've got the 1510 mostly and some 1520's), and one of our vendors loaned me an Elo Entuitive ESY1529L, and I've got Aloha installed on it and floating, but I can't get our Epson thermals working with it.

The printer I'm using is a TM-88IV, and it'stested and working with Radiant terminals, using adapters pinned out for those, of course.

According to the manual for the Elo terminal (p. 21):

...the first DB9 is assigned to COM1. Then it's got the pinout on page 22, so I matched that on a DB9-to-RJ45 adaptor. Then I used the pinout I found here for the Epson:

Nothing so far, no question marks or other random gobbledygook, just "Term3 Prt Printer is Offline". My dip switches are set as they were when they were working with a Radiant 1510.

Am I missing something? I've never used COM1 for a priner with Aloha is using COM1 no good?

I attached the most recent DEBOUT from the terminal in question. Please let me know if I'm leaving out some necessary info.

Thanks!

Okay, I really hate it when people have their question answered (I know they're answered because I try the suggestion, having the same issue, and it works for me), but they don't take the time to post back.

"Yeap, that worked thanks a million"... anyway, aghast at the prospect of becoming one of those, here I go, except I solved my own problem. Much to my embarrassment, it was a series of blunders on my part, whilst being generally on the right track.

First, of all, the pinout for COM1 and COM2 on this terminal is on page 23, not page 22 (that's the pinout for COM3 and COM4, which seem to have connectors on the board, like say you needed to run more than one remote printer).

For everyone's convenience, here's the pinout for COM1 and COM2 on the Elo ESY1529L:
[tt]
Desc TM-88 Dir Elo 1529L
RXD 2 <--- 2
TXD 3 ---> 3
DTR 6 4
GND 7 <--> 5
DSR 20 6
[/tt]

So yeah, that was blunder #1.

Blunder #2 was in not realizing the orientation of the motherboard relative to how I was looking at it. When you tilt the display back on the Elo, note that the labels on the ports are upside down. That's because your're looking at the mobo upside down. COM1 is the port on the right, next to the USB ports. Once I realized these two things, my printer spit out all of the several dozen test tickets I had printed during this ordeal.... D'oh!

For those of you with similar issues, but a different Elo terminal (or any terminal, for that matter), just find the manual for that terminal, and find the pinout diagram for the serial port you're trying to use, and make sure you know which way is up :)

I guess maybe this could be a FAQ?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon, Allen Saunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back