Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pinout question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippnring

Vendor
May 26, 2004
US
I am a telecom guy, So I dont know much about data. I was asked to run a cable from server to switch just a long patch cord with male rj plugs on both ends. Since I was told it was just a straight thru cable i pinned it out at both ends the way I have always done jacks wb bw wo ow wg gw wbr brw. After crimping several ends and it still not working somebody said it has to be 568b. I crimped them that way and it finally worked. My question is if it was pinned the same on both ends of the cable why would it matter? Isnt it all copper on the inside?

While the electrons are color blind, they know who their dance partners are. You will notice that your original color code gave you pairs on 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8. The 568B gives you pairs on 1&2, 3&6, 4&5, and 7&8. Crosstalk between the transmit and receive pairs in your original configuration prevented the equipment from talking, although there was DC continunity between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back