Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
Yesterday morning, we weren't able to hit the internet. Due to problems getting ahold of our ISP, we assumed it was on their side.

When I looked at our firewall logs, it appeared that ping activity was taking more bandwidth than http and smtp activity combined. So I blocked ping ports going in and out. This brought us back up.

I am sure that someone has a virus that is broadcasting and slowing down the network. Does anyone know which virus floods the network with pings?

I seem to remember one called Ping.A, but I'm sure there are more.

The W32.Nachi.worm is causing the ping problems. All your machines must be patched with MS03-026 anr run the latest versions of your antivirus. Please check for the host machine (sending the pings)and patch that one first. When ALL your machines are patched the problem will go away.
refers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back