Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PINGING IP Address IS Different 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chevy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
I need help please. I have never ran into this problem.
I have a network with all XP pcs networked to a 2K server.
When I ping to the server on any of the pcs I get the ip address returned as 168.192.1.1. But one pc on the network returns 64.14.68.67 when I ping the server from it. Why the DIFFERENCE? WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY NETWORK CONNECTION?

quoted from
Ping lists a public IP instead of private IP

Symptom: when you ping a LAN computer like ping chicagotechpc1, you may receive a public ip 64.176.153.103 instead of the computer private IP 192.168.1.100.

Cause: Incorrect DNS settings.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Thank you, ChicagoTechNet for your help. That explains my problem. But I have a complication. I am running a SQL Database Engine on my PC. When I load the the program, it uses the public ip address instead of the private IP. How can I change the settings so the private IP address is used? Any help would be appreciated. I'm a programmer and not a network guru, so I'm sorta confused about what I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back