Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging external IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahCurry

Technical User
Jul 6, 2000
GB
Visit site
Hi

I am not sure whether this is NT or Exchange, but I am having problems pinging external IP addresses.

The router is fine and when I telnet across to the router and then trying pinging an external address, the router opens, but the command line comes back as "Response Timed Out".

Can anyone help?

What are you pinging, names or ip addresses? If you are pinging names, try an ip like 204.137.168.66 ( If that works then you may have a dns issue.

There is also the posibility that the address you are trying to ping is down or firewalled and the firewall is denying icmp requests (I hope I said that right :) ).

Thanks for this .. They are pinging IP addresses and I've also tried with names, and neither works. Help again :)

What is on the otherside of the router? another subnet perhaps or the internet? Regardless, you should try to ping the router from the other side and see if that works.

yourside otherside
|--------|
-----|router |------
|--------|

If you can ping it from the otherside then, there might be a problem with the routing table in the router. Is the router an NT box or is it hardware?

This problem looks like your router does not route icmp packages.

Can you ping the external router interface? If not can you ping your default gateway?

Hi

I'm sorry to sound thick, Fenris, but how would I ping the router from the otherside?

Thanks

You would have to get someone on the outside to ping it for you. That would probably be the best thing.

Try doing a tracert to the ip address of the remote host and see where is stops. As mentioned trry to ping your default gateway. If you have internet connection you can go to and ping, trace, whois, etc, yourself, your router or your exchange box from that site. It's just as good as someone on the outside doing it for you. If you can get in to the router, look at the config. There should be the internal router IP and a "gateway" or internet address. This will be the address that the router has on the outside of your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back