Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging but not able to browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 11, 2002
US
It is a wierd problem.
I have an IBM Laptop (running WIN2K) with integrated ethernet and modem. When I connect through Modem to my office RAS server, I am able to browse the net. When I am in my office lan, I am agian able to browse. However, when I dialup to my Internet service provider at home - I am able to connect and ping external sites (both by name as well as IP address).. but I am not able to browse. I have tried with IE5, IE6, Netscape and Mozilla. Browsing works fine when I dial to office RAs but does not work when I dial to my ISP. However, pinging works perfectly fine when I dial to ISP.. I have matched the security settings with my home PC (which connects perfectly fine to my ISP) and everything matches.. It seems that there is some security setting somewhere which is causing this problem but cannot figure out what? This is quite frustrating..

Can somebody help??

Regards

Shailesh

No.. I use proxy when I connect through office lan.. However, I disable it when I ma connecting from home.. I do this change in the browser.. Is there any other place also where the proxy setting may be there??

Im not really sure on the proxy information, but just to check, can you ping DNS names? i.e. is this a browser setup issue or a DNS issue.

for this u can try out uninstalling TCP/IP then restart the system and again reinstall TCP/IP in the network properties and restart again for the system to make changes.. and TRY it out.. if it doesnt work try unistalling and reinstalling Dialupnetworking and check it out ... it should definitely work fine .

Rgds
Mateen Zameer

Sounds like DNS to me. Remove any DNS settings for the dialup location (record them first) and that is probably going to do the trick.

Go into IE, then go to Tools - Internet Options - Connections. Under connections should be list of your dialup settings, find the one that your dialup program uses and then click on the settings button and disable the proxy there.

Even if you disable it under the lan settings button, when you dialup your IE will use the settings related to that specific dialup. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back