Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging a mailserver using DynuPing - or any other method 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcarolan

Programmer
Jun 18, 2002
IE
Hi,
I am trying to ping our mailserver from our application. I need to do this to make sure the user has a valid connection to it - so that they can send mail to us from our VB exe.
I am trying to use an active x called DynuPing ( which is advertised as being free and it works fine in a developement environment with the active x installed on the machine. The problem is when I compile an exe and ship it to the customers machine - it gives a "can't create object" error. I was wondering is there a dll or something I need to ship with the exe or has anyone had any experience or using this component. I have emailed their support desk but got no reply.
Also if anyone has an easier way of doing this I would appreciate any suggestions.

George

sounds like the active x control is not installed or registered on the client machine. If you know it is there use regsvr32.exe to register it.

Matt

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you obviously haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation

Thanks Matt,
Sorry for sounding stupid but how do I use regsvr32.exe to register the dll? - our installation script usually does that automatically for us

Thanks in advance
George

open a run command from the start menu

the use something in this form...

regsvr32 "c:\myocxpath\myocx.ocx"

you can also ping from vb, check out this page

regards

Matt

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you obviously haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation

Thanks very much Matt, that worked a treat. One more question if you don't mind - how do I un-register the dll (for testing purposes) - can I use regsvr32 for this also?

George

yes, it would be something like this. th e-u (or /u) is the unregister switch.

regsvr32 -u "c:\myocxpath\myocx.ocx"

make sure you unregister the ocx before you delete/replace it as it will not unregister if the file doesn't exist.

regards

Matt

Try:
[tt]regsvr32 /u "c:\myocxpath\myocx.ocx"
[/tt]
A general rule for any command line programs is to type in the command followed by '/?' thus:
[tt]
regsvr32 /?
[/tt]

This will normally bring up the syntax and optional flags

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Thanks very much guys - I reckon I'm sorted now!

George

Sorry Matt, I type slowly [smile]

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back