Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ping within vb

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoice

Programmer
Feb 15, 2003
GB
hello,

I have 14 intel access points on site and would like to create a small graphical program that would show me if a device loses its connection.

I thought of pinging all the devices every half hour if the connection is good then the access point name will have a green light and if it is bad a red.

I am just not sure how I would go about acting on the results of a ping command. If the remote host responds then do this and if it times out do that.

any ideas would be much appreciated.

cheers,

neil

ipswitch software makes a product called "WhatsUp Gold" that can do this kind of monitoring. You can monitor directly, create dependencies and a network map, access SNMP data, call pagers and a bunch more.

We set a system at an ISP watching the T3 and T1 backup, and it paged all of us if we lost the line. When the boss called to say, "The line is down" we got so the answer was, "Yes, I know. I'm already in the car on the way to the office."

Not real expensive, and a turnkey solution, unless there's a real reason that you need to brew it yourself...

(no, I don't get commissions, it just worked well for me)

;-)

Howard Dingman
Pro-Tel Communications

webmaster<at>holocom<dot>com

You could run the ping command in a DOS box (using the Shell command) and record the results to a file. As an alternative you could open a connection to the server(s) using Winsock.

Thanks guys. your help has been very much appreciated.

neil

there is a FAQ in this forum on how to do it with API and icmp.dll

faq222-607

There are ping programs posted at Search for 'ping' and download some to take a look at. One may even already do what you are looking for.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back