Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PING: transmit failed, error code 65 (network problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
hi, I'm having a few problems with my XP pro system over my home network and in pinging external addresses.

I'm unable to ping any internal or external site. This is the message I get: PING: transmit failed, error code 65. The info that I've seen for this error is saying that it is due to a firewall blocking "ICMP Echo and/or Echo Reply packets" but I don't have a firewall installed not even the XP one?

I'm unable to ping the XP box from Win2k and another XP box?

I did have zonealarm installed but this was flly removed some time back?

I can see other computers on my network in network neighbourhood but unable to access them?

I can see this XP box from the other systems but again unable to access it?

I've tried re-installing XP over the top but as I guessed this didn't help any.

has anyone gt any idea of what i can do to sort this out?
Hopefully I won't have to do a wipe and clean install though!

Thanks in advance. Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

Hi

Can you ping your local interface? (127.0.0.1)

/Eyas

Thanks...I am able to get a reply back from 127.0.0.1 but that's the only IP it works on? Tezdread

double check your IP settings are correct,
then try using a different network cable.

Ah, I forgot to mention that I'm able to get an internet connection and email using IE and Outlook 2k so the card/cable's are fine. This is routed through my gateway and all on the same NIC/cable

I've tried uninstalling all the network drivers, but couldn't uninstall TCP/IP. Can this be uninstalled?

I've two XP computers and the network properties are all the same.

I think that the problem stated when I used the built in firewall, but this is now showing as not running. Tezdread

anyone? Tezdread

I am having a similar issue. I posted to the board and wait for a reply as well.

This my post. Good luck.

"I have a laptop that receives IP via DHCP. I can ping other PC's, servers, & routers on the network. nothing on the network can ping me. If I ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx it resolves to an IP address but the ping fails. Also when you browse network neighborhood my PC is visible, but if you double click you get "pc is not accessible" "path not found". I have nortons Personal firewall installed and have given the entire class C permisssion. I have even disabled the firewall. The problem still exist.
Anyone have any ideas?"

Do you have any other network protocols installed (like IPX)?

Did you check the users permissions ?

Can you ping your gateway ?

Look at the masks of your computers...

Well, I dont have any answers but maybe this will help...

LongStar

I am currently having this problem as well. From waht I can gather, ICS, Win2K SP1 and Zone Alarm Pro don't like to play nice. Trying to find a solution.

Someone said they checked the program settings for Ping/Tracert in ZAPro and changed it and it worked. Didn't work for me. Although I can ping and tracert behind my firewall now....ugh... DragonDon

I formatted my hard drive ( Delpart) and reinstalled the OS and that seemed to fix the problem. I did not enjoy having to reinstall everything one by one.

Well, after changing the settings in ZAPro, it still didn't help. I restarted my system (Win2K) and now it works fine.

:) DragonDon

I had the same error, when using my PC as router for Virtual machines. I could ping from my host to my Virtual PC but not from my Virtual PC to my host.
I also had ZoneAlarm installed. It was not desinstalled, but deactivated. After checking some things, it seemed that there was a program that is part of ZA (TrueVector) still running.
I deinstalled ZA and removed all registry settings.
After a reboot it worked perfect.

Man sometimes, I just get lucky.....

I went to the ZoneAlarm web site looking for some way to make sure I really had ZoneAlarm disabled. Then I came across some threads taking about "TrueVector" problems and about a program that would still be running at startup (?).

SO...I did the ctrl/alt/del to check what was in my Windows Task Manager. You'll never guess what I found!

Yep, a program running under the "Process" tab, called VSMON.EXE is the problem. Thats the program that causes the "PING: transmit failed, error code 65."

I copied from the ZoneAlarm forum:

The "TrueVector Internet Monitor" is actually the file VSMON.EXE, which runs as a Service in XP and Win2000. Its role in Win98 is similar, but there is not an obvious or easy way to stop a "service" in 98 or Me.

SO I went into Windows Task Manager and removed the process tree. Now I have to tell you I really am not sure what that does other than remove the process, so user beware!

I then tried to do the ping to any other address outside my system and was able to ping anywhere, basically.

Now, I am hoping someone can tell me exactlly how I can get rid out from showing up forever in the Windows Task Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back