Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTiger

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
US
How badly does the cisco routers affect ping times...is there any way to tweak them w/ router configuration settings?...

Also, I have a cisco router at home...are these routers only for DSL...or can you use them w/ cable modem as well?...I used to have DSL in ohio, then we moved back to florida, and here theyre gonna have cable-broadband in about a month or two... ----------------------------------------
The Learning process is just a way to get rid of all the stupids in your head.

Now where's that cute kitten? ;-)

As far as ping times going it depends on how you set up the router. If it is set up proerly you ping time will be excelent (depending on your provider of coruse) if it set up incorectly you could possibly have poor ping times and latency.

As far as cable modems go I dont think Cisco supprts them yet. I could very well be mistaken and welcome the possibility to be proven wrong cause I would personally like to see them do cable.

If you are looking into cable I would look into something like the SMC broadband router/switch. Very easy to setup and has a built in firewall and print server.

Hope this helps you a little

Ron

Yup, cisco supports broadband cable, however I would doubt you have the "right" router that supports that feature. Linksys makes one for under $150CDN that does the above features for home use.

Oh, as for the routing issue regarding ping times, one router is negligable for ping times as they are relatively quick devices. Now you stick a low bandwidth link in between, lots of traffic, and a few more routers, then they can certainly have an impact. With no traffic running through the router you will be hard pressed to see much of a difference. Also dependant on which encapsulation you use on your link will depend on the different settings to make it work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back