Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping, telnet and FTP dont work. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
Ok fellow techies I need some help in Windows 2000. I have a system that I just upgraded to Windows 2000 pro from Windows 98. Went smooth and works great, however, I cannot ping, telnet or ftp anywhere. I get " 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". This is the frist time I have ran into this error. Any Ideas how to fix it? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hi,

It sounds as if you TCP/IP stack is not working correctly. It may be best to remove the network client along with the IP protocol, restart the PC and then add the network client again.

You will probably need to have some sort of NIC in the PC to do this.

HTH

PeteH2

All the IP fuctions on this machine work except those mentioned. This machine is part of an AD domain and it does have an NIC in it. Any other possibilities? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Do the programs exist in your %systemroot%\system32 directory? If so, is system32 in your path?

dankelt

GOOD CALL!! It looks like it is a pathing problem. Thanks guy, I did not even think to look at the path. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

What had happened was a program I loadedfor the ODBC connection for SQL put its path variable in front of the Windwos 2000 %Systemroot% variable instead of behind it. D**n worthless program anyway. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

I have also got problems using my FTP programs since I moved from Win98 to W2K Pro. I have had a look in the folder 'SYSTEM32' but can't see either of the two FTP programs listed there.

I don't have a clue where to find a 'path' and can't find a %systemroot% directory so could somebody please give me some more help.

The path can be set by right clicking on the 'My Computer' icon, selecting 'Properties', then the 'advanced tab', then 'Environment variables'. In the system variables box, select 'Path' then 'edit'.

HTH

PeteH2

Thanks PeteH2, 'System32' is in the path. However,from another thread, I found that I should have a file called 'shells' in the "WINNT/etc" folder which is not there so I'll try and create that next and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back