Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping spikes on IPO 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybrian

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2007
GB
We have a weird issue; since upgrading to ver 7, we get this problem a couple of times a day:

Ping to the IPO rises from 1 msek to between 800-2000 msek! This lasts for about 3 minutes, before it reverts back again.

Anyone have an idea about this issue? its enough to disconnect all our phones, and its getting quite seriously annoying!
SSA reports nothing....

Ping times are even high with a PC connected directly to the same switch as the IPO, and the IPO has been changed from one hardware box to another, so it must be something else than hardware.

Anyone??

Sounds like a bad lan port.
Can you try lan 2?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

We just changed the IPO chassis on friday...so new LAN port! Both LAN2 and LAN1 adresses have the high ping issue.

is this when the switch is busy?

Is there QoS on the network

ICMP packets have the lowest priority normally...

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

This issue was related to our firewall being open for the ports used by the IP softphone. Apprantly, someone was attacking on some of these ports, causing the IPO to stall!

So not doin that again, only vpn....

Yes it does happen, usually a server in China that scans IP's then hits the open ports with registration requests (up to 40/50 per sec). On Mitel 5000's when this happens it can cause them to drop all their licences for some odd reason, seen it a couple of times :)

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.jpg

You can count yourself lucky that you haven't been badly toll-frauded!

May this be a lesson to *everyone* who puts the IPO on a public IP address or tries to run H323 without a VPN

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back