Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping request could not find host

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMITSpec

MIS
Aug 13, 2001
US
setting up lotus notes on an ibm thinkpad and the hosts file needs the ip address and the name of the server. this has worked on all previous installations except for the thinkpad. i've edited the hosts file on the thinkpad but it still is unable to resolve the host except when the server name is type like this: mynotes.server.com then i am able to ping utilizing the entire name. i am totally stumped!

example:

c:\ping -a mynotes
Ping request could not find host mynotes. Please check the name and try again.

c:\ping -a mynotes.server.com
Pinging mynotes.server.com [1XX.XX.XX.X] with 32 bytes of data.
Reply from 1XX.XX.XX.X: bytes=32 time=581ms TTL:126
Reply from 1XX.XX.XX.X: bytes=32 time=588ms TTL:126
Reply from 1XX.XX.XX.X: bytes=32 time=578ms TTL:126
Reply from 1XX.XX.XX.X: bytes=32 time=577ms TTL:126

i spoke with a colleague this morning but he has never ran in to this problem before. queries at ms technet are fruitless as well as on tek-tips. was hoping anyone out there may have a resolution.
many thanks!

My guess.
active dns.suffix
has to match on both the thinkpad and the server.
Or you can put server.com in the dns suffix list tcpip properties on the thinkpad .

My guess, you need to use the alias feature in the HOSTS file.

192.168.1.3 mynotes mynotes.com mynotes.server mynotes.server.com

My second guess is that your DNS entries are incorrect. They should be pointing first at your local DNS server, and not at all to your ISPs external DNS servers.

SYAR2003
Adding server.com to the Advanced TCP/IP Settings>Append these DNS suffixes resolved the host problem. It's strange because none of the other XP Pro systems on both LANs (I manage two LANs in two different towns) needed this work around to actually ping mynotes before. [2thumbsup]

bcastner
I tried your suggestion on the aliases in the hosts file and it didn't work.

By the way a little info: LAN not on Active Directory and local DNS Server is first on the list of DNS Servers, followed by two ISPs and two company DNS Servers.

Appreciate both of your suggestions!
ctolin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back