Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnorton916

Programmer
May 30, 2009
US
If I have two hosts connect to the same switch. No vlans or anything funky going on. One ip address 192.168.1.100/24 the other is 192.168.10.200/24

So I thought you had to have a router or layer 3 switch for these things to communicate.

I thought the host would look at the subnet mask and figure out the host is not on the same network and therefore send the ping to the default gateway. The default gateway is not setup.

But they do indeed ping each other.

This is done in a simulation so is the simulation wrong or am I?

If no one answers I will be setting this up use wireshark and let everyone know.

Bill

the simulation is wrong. As you said it will forward the packets to the default gateway. If you are saying there is no gateway IP set up yet then the packets should be discarded.

The default gateway is setup in the host config, but the default gateway is not "alive" yet.

Glad to hear you agree with me. :)

Bill

What is the IP configuration of the switch? Maybe it is routing after all. Maybe your subnet masks are not set to /24 as you think.

Switches have not been configured at all.

subnet masks are /24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back