Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharc

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I have networked my desktop and laptop computers together using a NIC in the desktop and a USB ethernet adapter for the laptop. I had it up and running when I first did the installation of netwrok using TCP/IP. After taking my laptop on a recent trip, I tried to hook the two computers up again today with no luck.

It seems that I can ping both computers from my desktop but cannot see the laptop drives in Network Neighborhood in Explorer. However when I try to ping from the laptop, it won't even ping itself. When I ping the laptop's IP address, it reads;

Ping: Transmission failed, error code 10050

I have called the manufacturer of the USB device but they are telling me it is a windows probelm (which I am inclined to believe). I have uninstalled and re-installed both the device itself as well as the TCP/IP protocols, neither worked. Any suggestions, have any of you seen the 10050 error code before?

DHCP vs. Static?
Mike Wills
IT Corporate Support (aka iSeries Progammer)
koldark@koldark.net

I assume it is Static (how could I check?), desktop is 192.168.0.1
laptop is 192.168.0.2, using a simple crossover cable between the two.

right click on your network neighborhood and then go to properties. double click on the NIC and look under the ip tab. It will show obtain an ip or set a static.

Do you have a link connection to the laptop?
Make sure your in the same subnet ( 255.255.255.0 ) example.
Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Ping: Transmission failed, error code 10050

That comes from either the WINSOCK or the driver ( more then likely) and tells you that it's socket error 10050 which is a call saying the network is down.. helpful isnt it?

The USB driver is not working correctly for some reason. I have seen troubles with laptops and USB unless you have the latest BIOS, SP and driver. My two compaqs are a case in point. They work now.. but it was painful :(

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Jeter, it is a static IP. Subnet is the same (255.255.255.0).

Wybnormal, the funny thing is, I had no problem with the same set-up when I first did the install. Everything was working fine. Taking your advice I tried reinstalling the drivers for the USB and that did not seem to make a difference. I am checking now on D-link's website for a newer driver. Hoping that works.

hai buddy do one thing check if ur driver in laptop is allright and one more thing check if it is connfigured for the right subnet mask 255.255.255.0 <----this should be the number...next thing u got to check if ur USB thing is allright .try replace another laptop in place of the original one and see. also recollect if any config changes u have made on ur laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back