Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping permanent ip addy but no reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

our LAN is connected to the web by an ISDN port on a Cisco 801 router. The ip addy is supposed to be permanent. When I ping it from a remote location I get timeout everytime. Would this necessarily imply that the router was not connected (dialed in) to the web?
Thanks

JohnH

It does not necessarily mean that the router was not connected. It may be that someone along the way, perhaps your ISP or the remote end ISP, is discarding pings. This is being done more and more routinely to prevent ping floods and other denial of service attacks one network connections. You might want to try a traceroute and see where the flow stops.

My (some other brand) router has a setting to be pingable or not. It is possible the router is set to be not pingable in an effort to be less exploitable.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I'm with jimbopalmer on this. You will not get a ping response from my routers either.

Thanks for your replies..

I'm a newbie in this area so please bear with me.

I've set up a web server on the LAN with a couple of test webpages on it. I am trying to connect to the Cisco router to do any port forwarding required. How would I connect to the the router from a remote location over the web? Or do I have to do that locally?

Thanks,

JohnH

A number of the routers I buy have remote configuration enabled, I turn it off first thing as I want to keep MY settings, not have folks on the net choose them for me.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back