Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping from dos but no IE connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatum

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
I am having a problem with internet explorer 6 in XP home. Well actually, nothing that requires a connection can connect. No programs can resolve an internet connection. The strange thing is that the ethernet card resolves an IP address from DHCP server and I can ping yahoo.com from a dos prompt. But no connection to a web site with a name or an IP address. I tried resetting all internet explorer settings to default and running connection wizard to set up the connection but nothing has helped so far. Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

You running a router or firewall? Could it be that filters are blocking your access at the router or firewall access point? Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

There is no hardware firewall because internet works fine on other computer. I dont think there is any firewall software installed and the firewall protection is turned off in network setup.

I had a similar problem after adding a hardware router (MS Wired Base Station). I had been running Zone Alarm Pro, which I took out of the startup menu when I added the router. I was able to get at the internet with IE sporadically at first and then not at all, but I could always get at email. Finally, uninstalled Zone Alarm altogether and my problems went away.

I've seen this on a few machines lately. Machines that are not mine. The machines were working fine and then all of sudden all network communications stopped. I no longer get a correct IP address from the router. Even if I put in a static IP I still can't get to my router(linksys) or even my server for that matter. I can ping it but thats it. The first thing I tried was changing the NIC but that didn't do anything. Reset IE6 to defaults.

Have you got a hosts file on your PC - some third party internet related utilities create a hosts file which can be used by your browser to resolve internet names.

In relation to the Firewall - as you are aware XP has an inbuilt firewall are you sure this has been turned off. A side issue do you have MCafee Virus Scanner installed as if you do and have not done a customised install then the FIrewall will also be installed.

Another thought is your IE Browser set to pass through a proxy server ?

That newnet.dot software was installed. I unistalled it but I still have no internet or network.I think the user used that AD-aware software to remove stuff. On the above link I noticed this statement:

"Do not use Lavasoft's AD-Aware to remove New.net, WebHancer or CommonName. At the time of this writing (Feb. 17 2003), AD-Aware is reported to be intermittently botching removals of these programs, resulting in loss of Internet access. None of the usual fixes (listed below) seem to fix this reliably."

Any clue how to fix it? I would hate to reformat!

Thanks

I manually removed it but still no dice. Any other ideas?

try a repair on IE , that fix does work for 98 but not sure how XP registry may be different.....
might take a look at this
maybe that will give something also when did this all happen? system restore maybe able to go back before this time and correct the registry

Thanks for your help. I saw that KB article and tried that already and it didn't help. I did fix the problem buy going to Ad-aware's website (from another pc) and searched there forums. I found a fix it util and it worked.

Thanks Again

Thanks for everyones help. BuckeyeComputers was right on. It was newdot.net. Great link BuckeyeComputers, you get a star from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back