Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping error 10043

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezie62

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
I am working on a Compaq DeskPro EP. I'm running Windows 95 on a Novell network. When I try to ping the server, I get "transmit failed, error code 10043." I ran ws2bakup. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I followed the instructions in this article and it didn't help. I even removed TCP/IP, removed the files listed in the article from C:\Windows\System, and reinstalled TCP/IP, which put those files back in the System folder. The files listed have been renamed to .old in the Windows directory. I'm still getting Ping: transmit failed, error code 10043. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Glen, but that's what I already did based on the other linked article I had received. Any other ideas?

Can anybody ping the server? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Yes. This ping error is only happening on one PC.

Change your nic and see what happens. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Here, this is what we would do at my tech support company if a caller had this problem...

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to verify your network configuration by using the TCP/IP Ping.exe command-line utility (Ping Localhost or Ping 127.0.0.1), you may receive the following command-line error message:

PING: transmit failed, error code 10091

You may not be able to connect to (ping) another local computer or another computer on the local network or on the Internet.

CAUSE
This issue can occur if an incorrect Windows Sockets dynamic link library (DLL) file is in the current path or there is more than one simultaneous Windows Sockets implementation. If there is more than one Winsock.dll file on your computer, be sure the first one in the path is appropriate for the network subsystem currently loaded.

This issue can also occur if the Windows Sockets implementation is not currently installed or is configured incorrectly.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, remove and then reinstall your networking components. To do this, follow these steps.

NOTE: You must have your Microsoft Windows CD as well as driver disks for the dial-up adapter (if present) and the network adapter (if present) to complete these steps.

Step 1: Remove Networking Components and Dial-up Networking

Step 2: Remove Network Registry Keys

On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type Scanregw, and then click OK.

The Windows Registry Checker starts. A message similar to the following appears:

No errors found.

The system registry has been backed up already today.
Would you like to back it up again?
Click Yes. You receive a message stating that backup is complete. Click OK.

On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, expand the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

Right-click Winsock, and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears.

The following message appears:

Are you sure you want to delete this key?
Click Yes.

Follow steps 6 through 8 to remove the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\Authentication\SMM_Files
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\AFVXD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock2
Quit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

Step 3: Reinstall Networking Components and Dial-up Networking

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided just to re-image the PC, and that worked. I didn't suspect the NIC, as the PC was connecting to parts of the network, but not to all of it. But I know I've seen this same error message on other machines, so I'm saving your suggestions for next time :)

[2thumbsup] Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back