Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping and Show Arp 3500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbain

MIS
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hello All,

I know in the 4500 you can ping the ip then do a show arp and get the ip address and port # for that ping.

How can i do the same thing in the 3500 switch.

Thanks,
Kevin

Two step process on 3500's ping the address , do a show arp , get the mac address , then do a show mac-address-table and this will correspond the port.

Thanks,

No do you know how to do this with the 2950's??

I'm new to all of this!!

THANKS
kevin

You asked for the 3500 , the 2950 is done the same way as the 3500 . Ping address , show arp , write down mac , do a show mac-address-table and this will tell you what port the ip is on . If it is trunked down to the 2950 you may have to get the arp table at the router level and then look for the mac address at the 2950 level .

Assuming your IOS is up to date (there may be exceptions) and that you have enabled Quickedit mode and insert mode on your Windows command prompt, you can save a lot of time.

Ping the ip.
type "show ip arp <address>"
Highlight the Mac with your mouse and press return.
type "show mac- | include <right click your mouse to paste>"

This will provide you with the relevant line only.

On Win Xp, I think you have to right click and choose copy and paste, linux is this way also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back