Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping an object from a message in the console ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

faiyazm

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
ZA
Hi,

We receive messages that a routers interface goes down in the console. What I am then doing from my message and action is I am running a perl script to ping the object before it (the router upstream) to see if it is up.
(up = Reply from ****)

If the router upstream is up then only I will log a call.
Is the perl option the only way to check for availability ??
Is there anything else that I can run from messages/actions to test availability ???

Regards,
Faiyaz.

What version of Unicenter are you using?

CA always told me that the event corelation service is supposed to do this automatically (Ping downstream devices to see where the problem is) You should check if "aws_ecs" is running when you do "awservices status" on the DSM. I've seen it in NetworkIT pro before but never played with it, they also told me it was going to be part of 2.4.x? and NSM 3.0

I'm not talking about the advanced event correlation which is a separate service that correlates any event with any other event and has a graphical user interface. It really is part of agent technologies.

Maybe this answer is more a question to try to find out if this interesting functionality is finaly implemented in NSM. If it is it would make the perlscripts unnecessary...

Finaly I would realy like to have a look at your scripts so if you could mail them to my handle at hotmail.com

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

As for the aws_ecs it is only available in NetworkIt and I think in Unicenter 3.0.
That services is not available in TNG 2.4.2.

So i still have to stick with the perl scripts until we upgrade.

Regards,
Faiyaz

If your upstream router is in your TNG environment, IE discovered in your worldview, then you could you "getsev" or "getilp" to test the status of the object; and base your escalation on the return code from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back