Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIng a PIX interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2002
I am setting up a PIX firwall for NMM but it requires a ICMP responce from the inside interface

As of PIX ver 5.2.1 ICMP is not permitted on an interface.

How can I configure the PIX to allow me to ping the inside interface? The PIX is running VER 6.2.
I have enabled ICMP any any which allows me to ping through the interface but not the actual interface.

Dan

As of PIX ver 5.2.1 ICMP is not permitted on an interface.

I have honestly never heard of that. Paste your configuration. Do a 'sh run' and look for any icmp statements. By default the PIX inside interface will allow pings to it but not through it -- unless you are somehow blocking icmp packets.

Tom

What I was trying to do was ping the inside interface from a different subnet. I can ping the inside interface on the same subnet but not from

My problem is that I can ping the inside interface on the PIX when I am on the same subnet as the inside interface but what I need to do is ping the inside interface from a different subnet.

I this possible without configuring NAT on a router to make the source packet appear as though it is on the same subnet?

Dan

Dan, I think that the problem is in the routing table of the pix. Do a "show route" in your pix, and find the route that belongs to the "other subnet" in the inside address. If you doesn't have it add the route with :
route inside 192.168.1.0 255.255.255 10.0.0.1

all the traffic that have a destination address 192.168.1.x will be forwarded to 10.0.0.1

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back