Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIII on asus P2B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi there,

I've got an Asus P2B 440BX motherboard, with a PII 233.
I plan to upgrade to a PIII (maybe 600 or 800Mhz), so my question is : will it work on this motherboard ?
From what I've understood, it should, since it's a slot1.
Would there be a limit in Mhz ?
There are switches on the motherboard, to set the bus speed and the multiplier, and I could go up to 800Mhz (100*8 - I don't want to use 133 cause I want my system to be very stable - for audio applications)
Will I have to change the power supply and/or fan as well ?

Many thanks,

- hubert -

Just go to and get the latest BIOS update (rev 1006 I think it is).
It will allow for all Pentiums (including voltage differences) that use a 100mhz BUS.
Then go get your PIII 800E. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

cool, thanks.

Actually asus website is not that clear about that. The latest revision for P2B is v1012 (dating back to 04/20/2000)
They don't mention the PIII compliance anywhere, but I assume that was set on earlier versions (the last description goes back to 10/28/99 ).

So my last wonder is about the fan. Does the PIII come with a fan ? Or will the old one (the PII one) be ok ?

The old fan should be OK.
v1012 is the one that supports the PIII.
The line you want to see is #2, that reads: Revise microcode update support for Cu-Mine processors, at
MAKE SURE this is the right update for your board!!!
Double check it's not a P2B-B, or P2B-F or somesuch. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

me again ... :)

ok, after lots of investigations, it seems possible.
If I've got the P2B revision 1.12 with BIOS 1012, I can put a PIII E

The only problem is the alimentation/voltage
The P2B has a slot1 that delivers 2.8v (for the PII)
but the PIII needs around 1.8v

I know you can find some adaptors Slot1 2.8v -> S370 FCPGA 1.8v
In that case I'll need a PIII 800E S370 FCPGA

But the only thing I've found so far (online shop ine the UK) is a PIII 800E slot1

And there is no adaptor slot1 2.8v -> slot1 1.8v

According to Comtech first answer, the BIOS will handle the voltage difference, but some people told me it won't ...

Any definitive opinion or experience ?

AFAIK, the BIOS revision handles the voltage issue.
How about a quick email to Asus on the issue?
Are there not any jumpers on the board for voltage?
Dig out the manual. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

no jumper for voltage.
If it's REV1.12, the voltage can go down to 1.65v, so it's possible.
But unfortunately for me, I've got REV1.02, which means I can't put a PIII on the P2B ... (I'm still wondering if it would work with a Slocket, I've emailed Asustek about that)

But it's likely that I'll have to buy another board.
I'm thinking about the asus CUSL2-C (even though there's a limitation for future upgrade ... but I don't know if I want to wait until the new PIIIs are available)

I have a P2B-DS (Bios 112b) running P3-500. The fastest the P2B-DS / P2B-D / P2B-S variants is 600Mhz due to the Dip Switches. On the more common P2B variants it is 800Mhz. Check your dip switches first to determine your upper limit. You need the latest Bios from ASUS website; flash with old CPU first then swap CPU.

I also have a P2B-S and wants to know if the new Bios flash bx2s1012 will be enough without having to flash with older ones first (i.e. 1011, or 1009...). ASUS site doesn't give this detail. (or have I missed it?)

According to Toria about the P2B-S variants being 600Mhz due to the Dip Switches, so if I put a pIII-700 Mhz on there, could it be possibel to run it at (6.0x112) or 672 Mhz?
If the voltage is regulated by the bios, then that should get it down to 1.65v ???

I'm currently running the 300A overclocked to 450, and it's been good so far. Thinking of upgrade but
just don't want to waste a nice board :) ... Thanks.

to Lipbaga

You dont have to flash older ones first.
Sorry, I cant answer the other questions.

lipbaga
Flash the newest BIOS version only.

There is a newest P2B-S BIOS on the German ASUS ftp:
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P2B-S/1014s_03.zip - it's 1014-03 Beta with release date 01-aug-2002. And 1013 version also there is.

CPU voltage is controlled not by BIOS, but VID signals from CPU. If the board have voltage regulator based on HIP6019CB or ACB, the lowest voltage limit is 1,8V, if HIP6019BCB - the lowest voltage is 1,3V. The IC near the Slot have to be checked (CB, ACB or BCB).

The frequency multiplier for highest Intel processors is determined by CPU not by jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back