Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PII 233 MMX Vs PIII 750 for Fox 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oublie

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB
Hi Guys,

We have a problem and I wonder if any of you have encountered it before and what the fix is. We currently maintain a suite of applications developed in Fox 2.6 and Visual Fox 3. Some of our users have recently had their machines upgraded to PIII 750's. The problem is that our Fox 3 application refuses to run on these machines unless we compile locally on the machines. I'm aware that earlier version of Foxpro had problems dealing with processors higher than a certain speed but as far as I know Visual FoxPro 3 is not affected. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the build on NT on the Machines as it will be different from the development machines because of different hardware etc. Any views, previous experience or suggestion would be much appreciated.
[sig][/sig]

I had problems like that before: The first time was in 1992 with clipper5, the last was in 1998 with a application on VB5 the program work good on win95 but when we try to run in NT or W98 the program doesn’t, until the programs was compiled in the NT-server or W98. With VB6,VFP6 and windows 98 I never had this problem. I didn’t find out exactly what was the cause of the problem, was the Operator System or the Language I use ?. The only I can tell you some time you have to compile the program in the computer you will use , why I don’t know!.

[sig][/sig]

If your application uses any ActiveX controls or COM objects, they have the be registered on the local machine. Recompiling on the local machine does this for you.

Use RegSvr32.exe to register and un-register COM components with the Windows registry.

You could also create an "install set" using setup wizard or 3rd party tool like InstallShield, which will register COM components on the local machine during installation.
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back