Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piggy Apocalypse - NOT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHunt

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Correction of the Year" from Australia's Morning Bulletin:
THERE was an error in a story titled "Pigs float down the Dawson" on page 11 of yesterday's Bully.

The story, by reporter Daniel Burdon said "more than 30,000 pigs were floating down the Dawson River".

What Baralaba piggery owner Sid Everingham acually said was "30 sows and pigs", not "30,000 pigs".

More info and comment at

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Poor piggies...those Angry Birds must've gotten to 'em.

I am reminded of the story - apocryphal possibly - of a radio dj/presenter who read out a dedication to Mrs Eileen Smith (name changed to protect the bewildered) who is "one hundred and eleven today! Fabulous achievement. Have a great day Mrs. Smith!"

He then played a record, after which he came back on the mic to make the following correction.

"I'm really sorry. We've just had a call from Mrs. Eileen Smith. She's not one hundred and eleven. She's ill. Sorry, Eileen. Get better soon."

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Left a sow-er taste in my mouth.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Makes a change from the flying variety I suppose.

The question has to be 'why?'. Were they swept away in the floods or something?

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

hjgoldstein, that reminds me of another probably-apocryphal story.

An author was doing a book signing tour of Australia, and dealing with a queue of people getting their copy signed.

The next woman in the queue said "Emma Chisit", so he dutifully inscribed the next copy "To Emma Chisit" and signed it. "No!" she said, "not Emma Chisit, 'ow much is it?"

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Chris Hunt said:
Morning Bulletin said:
"30 sows and pigs", not "30,000 pigs".
Reminds me of an absolute classic from this Berlitz commercial.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I remember going out to lunch with some colleagues at a past job. The waitress was taking one guy's order and asked him if he wanted the "Super Salad" with his meal, to which he excitedly replied "Sure! That sounds great!" The waitress had to ask again, "Would you like soup OR salad with that?

Thank you p5! This interweb thingy is really useful isn't it? If only I knew how to use it :)

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

We all know what float precision can lead to.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Still one of the funniest sketches of all time

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back