Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PID Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisb03

MIS
Nov 12, 2003
US
Hello All,

Quick question..I noticed that one of my servers every time a new process is forked the PID number is over 2 million. I do a ps -ef|more...all the processes are over > 200,000. The server runs fine...but should I be alarmed?

Thanks in advance,

Lou

Has the server being up for a long time?
PID's are unique, so the same PID will never be re-used until the server gets rebooted.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Thanks for the response; the server has been up for only 4 days. The machine runs fine...its just a bit alarming seeing pid's over 2,000,000.

If you execute "ps -ef|grep defunct|grep -v grep|wc -l" which is the output?
If you execute "vmstat -f;sleep 60;vmstat -f" which is the difference between the 2 values?

wouldn't you be using a 64 bits kernel ? in 32 bit kernel PID are somethjing like 10346, but they are more long under a 64 bit environment.

You can check with
bootinfo -K

or

getconf KERNEL_BITMODE (Aix 5.2)

Note : it's recommended not to install a 64 bits kernel unless you know you need it :))

The output from "ps -ef|grep defunct|grep -v grep|wc -l"..

The out from "vmstat -f;sleep 60;vmstat -f"..
14136 forks
14138 forks

bootinfo -K

So based on Letis comments I am assuming that the pid's string is so large based on the fact that the kernel is running 64 bit..correct?

Thanks for all your responses,

Lou

That's it.

In the svmon man page, you've got a sample svmon output taken from a 64 bit system, you will see that PID>200000 and that the Esid columns have huge values, compared to those you get on a 32 bit system (something like 7000000 instead of values betwwen 0 and 0e); search the string 278620 in the man page to find the sample, it's at point 20.

regards

you had only 2 forks in a minute and a fork each 24/25 seconds .... you haven't to complain ... everything is fine and shining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back