Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pictures, pictures, pictures: inserting, displaying, updating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

locosh

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US
Hello everyone,

I have been searching through the forums for an answer to an itch I have about pictures in Access, and I have had no luck. Anywho, here is my q:

I would like to create a database that will store pictures in a field. I do not really care if it's embedded or linked or whatnot as long as I can get to do the following on a form: The user will input several pieces of info like name, etc. On the same form there will be a field to add a picture to that record. The field will ask for a path to the picture (would be great if I can get a browse button thingy). This will of course do one of two things, either store the actual picture on the table or create a link to it. For manageability reasons the latter option makes sense but I prefer the first one (storing it). Also, I would like the form to display the actual picture, not an icon or the filename. Should the user want to update the picture they can do so by choosing a different path to a different picture

I appreciate any ideas or any suggestions as to good reading or links to good information. I have not had much luck with Access help or web searching for this itch and I really want to scratch it.

If you have no clue of what I am talking about or my request make no sense to you then let me know and I will try to explain it better.

Oh yes, thanks for stopping by!

IMHO, using a third party control to store your images in a OLE field in a table is your best option. This makes storing the pictures much more manageable without the hassle.

We use a product called, DbPix. It is a control with a programming interface that makes it easy to import, store, and manipulate images. If you are concerned about the storage space issue, bear in mind that our photo database we have over 15,600+ images with a file MDB file size of about 708MB. This means PLENTY of room to spare before the 1GB limit!

Iocosh

I use an A2000 db which does as you describe, drop me your email address and I will send to you

Steve

look at the northwind sample database that comes with MSA. this does something similar to what you require.

Hey all, thanks for your replies.

Smeadows please send it to newbieny@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back