Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pictures 'jump' for no apparent reason??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivkah

Programmer
Mar 23, 1999
US
Visit site
yet another internal site that i cannot show you the code... sorry. ok, i have one image on several pages throghout a site. identical image, identical table structure, identical code, you get the idea. the problem is, that on only one of the six pages the image moves. i can jump from page to page with the others, and the image does not move. it is only on one page that i must refresh the page to get the image to line up with the others. once i exit the page and reenter, the image 'jumps' back out of sync. this has been the case with ie3 and 4. any suggestions?

There is some external table causing the reformat? just a guess. By "external table" I mean there is a table before or after the table in which the picture is in. Also, you might want to see if you are possible loading the image differantly (like using IMG SRC="" Height="" Width="" in all the other tables, and missing the height and width in the one table.<br>
Hope one of these helps... it's hard to say, without seeing the code.

this is from one of the 'non-jumping' pages...<br>
<br>
&lt;body onload="doInit()"&gt;<br>
&lt;table width="100%" height="100%" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;<br>
&lt;table width="150" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;img src="images/1pix_trans.gif" width="1" height="70"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt; <br>
&lt;td align="right"&gt;&lt;a onmouseover="DoOver('#0000FF'); status='x'; return true;" onmouseout="DoOut()" CLASS="BOLD" HREF="systems.htm" target="x"&gt;x&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt; <br>
&lt;td&gt;&lt;img src="images/1pix_trans.gif" width="1" height="3"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;<br>
&lt;ul&gt;<br>
&lt;li&gt;&lt;a onmouseover="DoOver('#0000FF'); status='x'; return true;" onmouseout="DoOut()" CLASS="x" HREF="x" onclick target="x"&gt;x&lt;/a&gt; &lt;/li&gt;<br>
&lt;li&gt;&lt;a onmouseover="DoOver('#0000FF'); status='x'; return true;" onmouseout="DoOut()" CLASS="x" HREF="x" onclick target="x"&gt;x&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;<br>
&lt;/ul&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;/table&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;td valign="bottom" align="right"&gt;<br>
&lt;table width="250" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;img src="images/circle.gif" width"242" height"230" alt=" " WIDTH="242" HEIGHT="230"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;/table&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;<br>
&lt;/body&gt;<br>
&lt;/html&gt;<br>
<br>
and this is the code from the page that 'jumps', the image in question is 'circle.gif'.........<br>
<br>
&lt;body&gt;<br>
&lt;table width="100%" height="100%" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;<br>
&lt;td align="center" valign="top"&gt;&lt;font face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"&gt;x&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;td align="right" valign="bottom"&gt;&lt;img src="images/circle.gif" width"242" height"230" alt=" " hspace="8" WIDTH="242" HEIGHT="230"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;/table&gt;<br>
&lt;/body&gt;<br>
&lt;/html&gt;<br>
<br>
ok... so the code is not EXACTLY alike :)<br>
help?<br>
<br>
<br>

Well, really, it could be anything! It's still hard to say. Let me see If I can somehow peproduce your jumpy picture. It might be the valign in the &lt;TD&gt; tag, do you use the Valign="bottom" in any of the other files? I also notedt in the first coe, you seem to have a &lt;TD&gt; outside of the table structure.

yes, i do use &lt;td valign="bottom"&gt; in the other pages. i don't see what you mean in the first code example... are you looking at the nested table? thanks for your help!<br>
rivkah

I THINK I may have found your problem!!!<br>
On the first snippet of code you used the following to place your graphic:<br>
<br>
&lt;td valign="bottom" align="right"&gt;<br>
&lt;table width="250" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;<br>
&lt;td&gt;<br>
&lt;img src="images/circle.gif" width"242" height"230" alt=" " WIDTH="242" HEIGHT="230"&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;/table&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;<br>
<br>
and in the 2nd page you used the following:<br>
<br>
&lt;td align="right" valign="bottom"&gt;<br>
&lt;img src="images/circle.gif" width"242" height"230" alt=" " hspace="8" WIDTH="242" HEIGHT="230"&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;<br>
<br>
Ok, I notice 2 major differences:<br>
1. The 2nd image tag has an 'hspace' attribute; the 1st doesn't<br>
2. the 1st page uses a 2nd table INSIDE the &lt;td&gt; with the<br>
valign=bottom align=right<br>
using the 2nd table cancels the valign=bottom & changes it to the eq. of: valign=top and changes the align=right into the eq. of: align=left. You should use the same table INSIDE the &lt;td align=right valign=bottom&gt; in ALL of your pages, or you should NOT use it in all of your pages...mixing & matching a THE ONE SURE WAY to get something to mess up!<br>
<br>
I hope that helps.<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back