Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PICTURE SIZING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADEMAR

Programmer
Apr 20, 2002
US
I am noticing that when I place my pictures on a desired page they are very small but the download time on the bottom right of the screen says something like 8 minutes. How can this be? Is this actually accurate. They are not even thumbnails where you can click on them and enlarge them. I must be doing something wrong? I also do not own a "good" pic editor. Would anyone have any suggestions to a quality pic editor.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,

In your img tag, are you declaring the graphic size with height and width? You can change the display size of your graphic but it will not change the file size. This could be the reason that 8 minutes is showing for the display time when the picture itself looks like a thumbnail.

I believe Image Composer 1.5 loads with FrontPage and you should be able to change the file size there.

PaintShop Pro (version 7.0) is one of many graphic programs. I find it a little bit easier to use than most and the cost is about $100. You can download a trial version at
Hope this helps,

Jim

Look at the actual file size of the photographs, which is different than the scaling size in your web site. You can have a 1.2 megabyte photo and scale it down, but it's still got a file size of 1.2 megabytes. You can see the sizes of your files by View>Folders. A large sized photo will also take longer to publish.

To bring the size down, you have to change the overall scaling size of the photo first. If you scanned in the photo as 8x10, that's part of the problem. You could reduce the quality, but the scaling size still takes up a lot of space. You'll need to bring it down to about 250 pixels on the shortest side of the photo (it seems small, but you'd be surprised at how big it actually is). You can save the photo of a quality of about 4, which should give you decent quality but not a big file size. Ideally, for fastest loading time, you want about 25KB.

To work with the photos on my site, I use Corel Photo Paint. This seems to be the only program that I've found that will bring the photo file size down to where it works for the Internet. However, if you have FrontPage, you do have an image program, Microsoft Image Composer (on the second CD ROM).

Linda Adams (Garridon@aol.com)
"Promoting Your Club Web site," published in The Toastmaster, June 2001

One quick way to resize graphics is to make the adjustment on the picture size, just by clicking on a corner and changing it. Then, on the bottom of the FP screen, while a graphic is highlighted, there is a special little window that looks like a graphic changing size. Click that and it will automatically size the graphic, and set the quality to be best for a website for speed in loading and good looks.
One reminder, you can not click the button and expect results until you change the size of the graphic in question. You need to be sure to do all the graphics on your page in the same manner. Sometimes a graphic slips by with the file size problem, and you don't realize which one is actually causing the load speed problem.

If you are using jpegs, then FP can compress for you, but not as good as a proper optimizer. choose picture properties and on right hand side where the jpeg is checked you can play around with the default setting of 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back