Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

picture problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmanuelab

Programmer
Dec 30, 2004
US
i already uploaded my pictures and html files but the pictures are not showing

I'm just getting the "404 Not Found error", Sorry I'm not sure what it is, on the bright side the HTML looks fine.

thanks for the for the quote now one of my links doesn't work

Note - if your site is hosted on Unix, filenames (and URLs) are case-sensitive. If it's hosted (or tested) on windows, they aren't.

Case-related errors are b*ggers to spot. For the sake of your sanity, pick a case convention for all names and stick to it (I use lower case for everything, ingrained habit of an old unix guy!). This applies to CSS class/id names too!

PS. Note also that some ftp programs will, by default, automatically set filenames to lower case when you upload files.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Thanks for the info there Chris, I thought it was strange because i tested the "jpg" and "JPG" on my server(windows server 2003) and both worked without any difference, I never realised Unix did that.

You learn something new every day,
Cheers.

I use lower case for everything...

Aye, same here, less problems.

One thing to watch for, I had batch processed a bunch of pictures then uploaded them to my website. Drove me nuts trying to figure out why they wouldn't show only to find the batch processor had changed the file extension to upper-case.

Now it's one of the first thing I look for when troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back