Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picture Files in User Mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideswipe

Technical User
Oct 2, 2000
GB
Does anyone know why i can open jpeg, bmp etc files when i am in administrator/power users mode in win 2k yet when i go into restricted users mode i cant, it says 'no file information can be found in the registry'. The users have to be restricted in what they can do for security purposes but they need to import jpeg and bmps into documents( ie company logo). Why is it so restrictive. its just awkward as surely these file types cant cause any damage to the system.
any ideas or help much appreciated
regards
dan

Hi,

I would guess this is a permissions problem in the registry.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Import (you must use regedt32)

Underneath you will see all the different types of graphic formats I would change permissions via security/permissions on one troublesome file format - give everyone full control.
If this works change at level above for all filters.

If you need to automate this use regini from the professional resource kit - it's easy to use.

Hope this helps

thanks for your reply. unfortunately it still wont work. i've managed to find a workaround but its still awkward and i dont get it.
regards
dan

I'm surprised this didn't work. Did users have permissions
in the registry ?

My problem was with Word but have seen it with other apps.

There is a KB article regarding Photoshop with the same problem.

It might be worth setting the permissions at the shared tools level - I'm almost certain it's a registry permission problem just finding the right key.

Hope you crack this - let me know if you do because as I said I see this frequently and above has always fixed.

thanks again for your reply. i've worked something out that if i open the file in imaging then save it as bmp, jpeg etc then come out of imaging and try to open it again normally by clicking on it then it works. very strange.
I'll keep plugging away, maybe i did the registry thing wrong.
regards
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back