Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PICTURE BOX AND FLICKERING IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi

I am making a game. I am using a picture box to display a background image. When i click a text box (which moves counters) the image flickers.. very annoying, how can i stop this ?

Thanks in advance. __________________________________
Create like a God, Command like a King, Work like a slave..

Try preloading the images in the Form_Load() event, so they're already in memory when you access them?

Just a random guess.

The flickering is a basic problem about windows and grafics. windows slows down everything you do with images greatly. There is only one (not quite easy) solution for your problem: DirectX (Draw/3D).
I would advice you to start off with DX7, since after then there is no explicit DirectDraw anymore.
For further information, please refer to

>The flickering is a basic problem about windows and grafics

Let's see: Windows is a graphical OS - but you're suggestion is that it has problems with both windows and graphics. Please elucidate...

Windows controls the stream of grafical data to the grafic card. this slows down the drawing process alot. DDraw directly accesses your hardware, thats why its (much) faster.

I think there should be a relatively easy solution to this. If you only have this problem when you click on a textbox then Windows may be redrawing the window when it doesn't need to. Theres lots of ways to minimize the amount of drawing you need to do to improve performance. Maybe you could describe the problem a little more. This is a 2d game right? How is your form set up...

My point is that Windows quite happily renders graphics without flickering issues. Therefore the claim that there is 'only one' solution, DirectX, is somewhat misleading.

I did not say there was only one sollution. I said/ment it was the best one, for games anyways.

Er...yes, you did. It's exactly what you said: "There is only one (not quite easy) solution for your problem"

When it comes to graphics and flickering of such. Wasn't there an example of "double buffering" some time ago? ... Oh yeah! Search is down ... Well it was a thought ...

Yep, there certainly was. I hope the improved search engine is worth the wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back