Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pickink up todays date in a SQL DTS Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGally

Technical User
Nov 30, 2006
GB
Hi there,

I need to automate a DTS package to run daily. I have the code Im going to use, only, it is designed for input of a 'start date' and 'end date' by a user. I need the DTS package to pick up todays date and yesterdays date automatically, rather than have the user input these dates. That way I can automate the package to run daily and not rely on the user to enter the 'start date' and 'end date' to indicate the period for which we are going to export the data.

Here is the starting code I have at the moment in the 'Transform Data Task Properties' of the link between Source Server and Destination Text file.

declare @gamingDayStart datetime
declare @gamingDayEnd datetime
exec get_bus_datetime 'Export EOD Meters', 'Bus Day Start:', @gamingDayStart output
exec get_bus_datetime 'Export EOD Meters', 'Bus Day End:', @gamingDayEnd output

set @gamingDayStart = CAST(DATEPART(mm,@gamingDayStart) as varchar(2)) + '/' + CAST(DATEPART(dd,@gamingDayStart) as varchar(2)) + '/' + CAST(DATEPART(yyyy,@gamingDayStart) as varchar(4))
set @gamingDayEnd = CAST(DATEPART(mm,@gamingDayEnd) as varchar(2)) + '/' + CAST(DATEPART(dd,@gamingDayEnd) as varchar(2)) + '/' + CAST(DATEPART(yyyy,@gamingDayEnd) as varchar(4))

I hope this all makes sense!

Thanks in advance

SirGally

Hi,

You can use GETDATE() to get the system date and then you can use DATEADD to get yesterday's or tomorrow's dates. Do you have to take weekend days into account?

Regards,
Tom

Another thing you may want to do is strip time component from the result of getdate(). This could be done using this:

Code:
---for today's date
select dateadd(day, datediff(day, 0, getdate()), 0)

---for yesterday's date
select dateadd(day, -1, dateadd(day, datediff(day, 0, getdate()), 0))

As TomKane said, you may want to use some if/else logic if you need to account for weekends (ie on monday process friday/saturday/sunday data)

Good luck,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Thank you so much.

Thats been a big help.

sirgally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back