Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picking up other folk's line

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumguy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
US
With our old phone system, we could have two lines on a secretary's phone, one for the secretary and one for the secretary's boss. The secretary could pick up the boss's line and then put the caller on hold. The boss could then pick up the line at the boss's desk. Our vendor says this can be done, but that it isn't a "key system", whatever that is, and it would take some fun configuration. It seems that this should be straight forward.

How would you suggest setting something like this up? I'm an IS guy, but I'm a Mitel newbie. So type slowly. :)
Thanks,
-C

Ummmmm, what kind of system is it??

Doesn't really matter actually. You just put a "key Line" appearance of the Boss's extension on to the secretary's set and make sure it rings. The secretary then can answer the call and put it on hold to be picked up by the Boss.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Sorry about that. We have a 3300 MXe switch and using 5330 IP phones.

I don't have experience with 3300 or 5330. However, I'd bet programming is similar to my SX-2000 with SS420 phones. I'd be glad to provide my "straight forward" programming steps as a starting point if you need more specific hints.

Thanks. If you would provide the steps, that would be great. They won't make sense to me, but I'll give it to our phone guy and he can take it from there.

On an unrelated subject, does anybody know if there is a way to read previous threads with this forum without going back to the index every time?

This should be pretty similar on a 3300 versus a 2K. The big variable here is how is the "boss" extension currently set up? does he just have the prime, or are there multiple appearances of the number the secretary needs access to?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "multiple appearances". The boss has one number and that number should be able to be picked up by the secretary. If another call comes into the boss when the secretary or the boss is using the boss's number, I'd think the call would be directed to voice mail since there is only one "appearance" of the boss's number. Does that sound right? Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

Correct.

On the secretary's phone, in the form Multiline Key Assignment.

Modify a vacant key
Type - Key System
DN - Bosses Extension
Ring type - As needed

Functionality:
If the boss is on the line, it shows bust on the secretary and visa-versa.
The call can be placed on hold on one set and picked up on the other.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back